Last week I had the pleasure of participating in a webinar with four colleagues. The webinar was hosted by Scott Becker and The Becker Group, and I very much enjoyed my conversation with my fellow panelists about the business trends and investments we are looking at in this post-Coronavirus era.
The webinar was focused on two key questions:
- What are your three thoughts on business growth in the new era?
- What are your three thoughts on investment in the new era?
A post-Coronavirus world has accelerated early changes in trends taking place in the modern economy and brought about significant growth opportunities for many business models. The main thoughts I shared with the webinar attendees were related to:
- The rapid change that is taking place in all aspects of the financial services industry (digitization of private securities, remote banking, contactless payments, and the evolution of digital currencies).
- How 5G will change how we work, play, learn, and access information. This new communication technology will bring attention to new business models that will benefit from greater internet bandwidth and availability that will catch up to their futuristic visions.
- I am also a big believer that supply chains are coming back to the US. In a world of managing risk, why would our country continue importing 90% of pharmaceuticals for its citizens?
When we broke down our thoughts on business growth in the new era to specific investment ideas, I encouraged people to think about three concepts:
- Utilize SPV’s (special purpose vehicles) to construct portfolios in early-stage investments that reduce some of the binary “left tail” risks of an all-in bet on one startup. We are currently allocating in our latest SPV recently created to capture investment opportunities that we see as a result of trend changes from Coronavirus.
- Learn about and research the different investment platforms for private securities. We have partnered our firm with iownit.us and hedgeact.com to help with our investors’ diligence, lower the cost of private transactions, and complete more transparent and liquid private investments.
- Invest in for-profit, for-purpose companies. They not only have big tailwinds but you will feel good about your “ripple in the pond of impact” and help make the world a better place.
Enjoy the webinar, and please let me know if you have any broad questions, or specific to our new SPV and the iownit platform that I may address:
May we all continue to live together in a kinder, gentler, and more inclusive nation.
Robert R. Topping is a registered representative and affiliated with IOI Capital as well as a Managing Member of Topping Capital. Rob Topping brings more than 35 years of public and private market experience in the financial services and alternative investment industry to IOI Capital. Rob’s current responsibilities involve identification of venture, real estate, and hedge fund opportunities for IOI as well as a strategic platform and advisory introductions. Rob’s top priority is sourcing #freeforminvesting and #maneuverablemmoney opportunities for high net worth, family office, RIA’s, private equity, and venture clients.
Mr. Topping’s experience includes the launch of a 1998 long-biased hedge fund that still exists today as a public-private hybrid fund, activity in distressed real estate and
Rob earned his BBA in Finance from Southern Methodist University (1983) and holds the CFA designation (1993). Mr. Topping holds Series 7 and 63 licenses.
IOI Capital and Markets, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Iownit Capital and Markets, Inc.